Thursday 5 July 2012

St John's Cemetery - the wall


Unfortunately, no records survive that detail any aspect of the construction of the wall; brickmaker, builder and cost are all unknown. The bricks are, however, the typical apricot colour and similar in texture to other bricks known to have been made in Parramatta. Many of the bricks in the wall have impressed arrowhead marks. John Clew’s bricks, distinguished by his elongated heart frog mark and by their speckled markings due to impurities in the clay, were subsequently used to repair the walls. He had a particular affinity for the cemetery and its wall and, when dying, requested he be buried “as close to his beloved brick wall as possible”. His grave is alongside the northern boundary. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find it.



I'm not sure but I think the scratches in some of these other bricks may also be maker's marks.

3 comments:

Julie said...

This does it! I have to go out there. It is on my list before the end of July.

The walls around the Darlinghurst Courth House ('The Wall') have marks in the which indicate which convict laid them, so they could keep track on work rate.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Very interesting Ann, my Dad was a bricklayer so even more so for me. Fascinating if the marks are made by convicts to show how many they've laid.
p.s. on a completely different note, I've just been a little sidetracked having fun with your virtual pussy cat Ann, haha! I know, but it's late and I'm easily distracted!! How does one go about getting a virtual pet?

Dina said...

I love to read and see stuff like this!
Long live the builders!