Wednesday 25 April 2012

Lest We Forget


Australian Memorial

This week we go back, way, way back. Its ANZAC Day in Australia and, in commemoration, here are some photos from Gallipoli taken on my very first trip overseas in 1979. They were taken on an overland bus trip from Kathmandu to London - 40 youngsters on a bus for three and a half months, half of which was camping. It turned me off group travel but completely hooked me on travelling. (I still do group tours but only small group ones, my preference is definitely for independent travel.)


ANZAC Cove - those are poppies in  the foreground.

It was really interesting to see a group of rowdy, hard drinking, youngsters (myself included) fall silent and wander quietly around the site in groups of two or three. It was an extremely moving and atmospheric place.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

This is an entry in Julie's Taphophile Tragics meme.




14 comments:

Jo said...

what a wonderful experience, travel does leave the best memories. Great post.

Dina said...

You were brave to go on such a trip.

From your picture of the beach it is so hard to imagine the killing that went on there.

The memorials are so uniform. The one you show is almost like ours in Jerusalem, where I was at the ANZAC Day service today.

Mark said...

An amazing experience Ann. I look forward to the week.

Stefan Jansson said...

Nice trip down memory lane.

Sondra said...

I like to say the only thing we take with us over the rainbow bridge are memories, so make PLENTY of them!!

XoXo said...

i love how they all look like old photographs...

Herding Cats said...

It must have been a wonderful experience. Great post.

CaT said...

i liked to read about your experiences of group travel.. :)
very pretty pics!

hamilton said...

With all the other ANZAC Day posts, it is interesting to see one from Gallipoli.

Jim said...

Lest We Forget.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a brilliant experience Ann, it amazes me how many young people (like you were then) really respect the Anzac legend.

Julie said...

Your first trip was in 1979! I remember you telling me about the trip overland and how it turned you off group travel. I just did not know the year. That was the year Kirsten was born!!

The clothing the tourists wore certainly dates your photos. I would love to go to either Gallipoli or to the Western Front. I think if I had a choice it would be the WF. I have chatted to Mark Bellamy about it. He is starting to train his group of Year 9 students for when they go over NEXT ANZAC Day.

Francisca said...

40+ in the group? Errr, no thanks. I've never done a big group, and I don't imagine I will. Yet still you clearly have ineresting memories of this trip. At the time you were in Gallipolie, it sure did not look like a battle field.

Francisca said...

40+ in the group? Errr, no thanks. I've never done a big group, and I don't imagine I will. Yet still you clearly have ineresting memories of this trip. At the time you were in Gallipolie, it sure did not look like a battle field.