Tuesday 8 May 2012

Taphophile Tragics


A couple of very old (1979) shots of Red Square and Lenin's Mausoleum in Moscow. Its that squarish redish building on the left above and on the right below. We didn't have time to queue to go in. See the bride and groom making a visit in the shot below. Apologies for the dreadful quality of the scans, they were taken on a little Kodak Instamatic that someone lent me after my good camera was stolen at Delphi in Greece.




This is an entry in Julie's Taphophile Tragics meme.

9 comments:

Dina said...

The photos have a charm all their own.

Things must have been quite different in Moscow way back then.

Julie said...

Yes, I am with Dina. Moscow has come a long way since 1979. I wonder why the bride and groom felt it necessary to visit Lenin's tomb. Come to think of it, I wonder if the queues are shorter now that communism is so last century?

AL said...

This takes me back to 1984 when I made a trip to the USSR. I lined up in minus 20c, with snow all around. By the way, in those days all you had to do was show your overseas passport and they would move you nearer the front of the queue. I only waited 30 mins, but most people waited for hours and hours in sub-zero temps!

Peter said...

How fantastic, your world shots are always great.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Wow! To have experienced all the ambience of Red Square must have been amazing! Love the tones in these photos! Enchanting!

VioletSky said...

Interestingly, I just got a postcard (through Postcrossing) from Russia that features Red Square. In the post card it is empty.
This is quite the queue.

hamilton said...

It seems an odd choice for the wedding party. But then it is probably a beautiful backdrop from the outside/

CaT said...

must be interesting to visit moscow. one day i would like to go there too!

Herding Cats said...

So interesting.I have to say I love the lines of people in both photographs.