Tuesday 15 May 2012

Taphophile Tragics



These were taken at Lakemba Mosque Open Day last year. People were sitting and standing around listening to the talk when a child's coffin was wheeled in and left at the back. Noone paid any attention to it except that the speaker was asked to hurry up so the ceremony could be held. After the regular prayers finished the coffin was moved to a more central position, the family came in and a very brief ceremony was held. Still with all the visitors in the mosque. Its something I felt very uncomfortable with. To me a funeral is (unless its of a well known person), if not private, at least for family and those who knew the deceased. I know that its imperative that the body is buried within a short period of time but it seemed disrespectful and that little coffin sitting at the back on its own was so terribly sad.




This is an entry in Julie's Taphophile Tragics meme.

12 comments:

Dina said...

I can see how you'd have mixed feelings.

But these are such rare photos.

Jim said...

That does seem sad.

Dianne said...

Yes Ann! I would have felt like an intruder as well. A different culture with different ways of doing things.

Peter said...

Love your Tuesday entries. so varied.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Hard to consider right or wrong when you see a cultural practice like this as an onlooker! I have never known such a way of doing things either! I would be filled with questions but would probably respectfully be silent!

Mark said...

I don't know how I would've felt if I had been there. Agree with others that cultural difference is everything in how you view the event.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I know there are differences, but it would break my heart to think of that wee soul just waiting there.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

p.s. I saw the Sydney Perry sculpture 'thing' in the catalogue, you're right Ann it is a little chunky!!

SeaThreePeeO said...

How unbelieveably sad. Especially when you notice the sie of the coffin.

Herding Cats

Nellies said...

I completely agree with you, what a sad sight, this little coffin and nobody paying attention to it.... Thank you for sharing.

CaT said...

yes, that seems weird to me too!
how can they already bring it in when the family is not even there... :(

Julie said...

Agree about the cultural differences. Who is an outsider to judge. However, because of MY cultural upbringing, I would probably have paid my respects (bowed head) and left.

Like Peter, I do very much appreciate your Tuesday variety.