Tuesday, 29 July 2008


Australians call these thongs. As you can see they are quite different to the garment that North Americans know as a thong (which we call a G String). I spotted these in a souvenier shop. They are emblazoned with "Strine" - G'day, bonzer, ripper, beaut, streuth. Who can tell me what they mean?


babooshka said...

It is intereesting to note that aperfectly innocent word in one country can mean something totally different in another. Thongs being a perfect example.

Kathleen aka Coffee Mom said...

I just stumbled across your blog today and I'm glad I did!

Years ago we (in Canada) we called those shoes thongs, now we call them flip flops because yes, thongs are now something else entirely!!!

Your pictures are lovely, looking forward to more!